What'd I Say?

I just finished watching Ray, starring Jamie Foxx. The film chronicles the life and career of Ray Charles, the legendary piano player and jazz/blues/country singer. Charles went blind from glaucoma when he was about seven years old, but he overcame that obstacle, as well as many others, to forge a very successful career in show business. The movie tells the story of Charles' triumph over drug addiction as well.

I was dancing around my living room during some of the band scenes! I also especially loved the flashbacks to Charles' childhood, and how all of those scenes seemed to be shot in such bright contrasting colors - the red clay of the earth, the bright green of the grass, the multi-hued bottle trees. It made sense to me that, remembering, Charles would recall the world in such color.

Performances by Foxx, Kerry Washington (Della Charles), and Regina King (Margie Hendrix) were all especially notable. I've seen Regina King in several other films, and I've always thought she was one of the most talented actresses around. She proves it in this film.

Comments