New reviews and other news

I've recently posted new reviews to Amazon.com, including my thoughts on A Map of the World, Gangs of New York, and some other tidbits. You can read them here.

I have heard that Anthony Michael Hall will be a guest on the Bob and Bender Showgram on Y101 this week! Whoopee! You might not think it to look at me, but I am a HUGE Dead Zone fan. I've got that thing set on Tivo's Season Pass so that I never miss an episode! Sometimes, Johnny Smith has a habit of taking himself a little too seriously, but, most of the time, it's just indulgent fun. (I'm also a lover of The 4400. I don't watch too much sci-fi, but when I latch onto something, it's all over.)

I spent a few days down on the Mississippi Gulf Coast this week, and I had the chance to enjoy some new experiences, namely eating at Mary Mahoney's! Oddly enough, I'd never eaten there before. They served me some of the most delicious fried oyesters that I think I've ever had. Now, it's a little spendy, but it's worth every penny. The homemade tartar sauce is divine. When the time comes for dessert, they'll tell you that they are famous for their bread pudding. Pah. While the bread pudding is excellent, the dessert you want is the Mississippi Mud Pie. Service is fabulous, so tip well.

I stayed at the Beau Rivage while in the area, and I cannot say enough about the service at the property. We were waited on hand and foot. I was there for a conference, and the food was consistently sublime. In addition, the surroundings are absolutely beautiful. The only two complaints I have are: 1.) my mattress was as hard as a rock and 2.) they charged guests $15 per day to use the gym. (A gym fee is preposterous. Even low-service hotels often have complimentary gym services. It's becoming, not an amenity, but something that travelers expect. It's like charging guests for pool access. Sniff.) Anyway, other than that, I was a happy camper.

Comments