Actors who can walk

The choreographer came to rehearsals last night. Now, I will be the first person to tell you I am not a dancer (I classify myself as "an actor who can walk"), and I spent most of the early part of rehearsal wondering how on earth I was going to remember all of the steps and still find time to "perform"! However, after working on it some more last night and this morning, I think it will be fine. Our choreographer was very encouraging, and she came up with some great moves. I'm always so appreciative of people who are trying to teach me how to dance. They've got their work cut out for them.

I'm working on some of my solos now, trying to make the vocal quality what I want it to be and give the director what she wants. There's one ballad that she suggested I attack more as a monologue than a song, analyzing my actions in each line to make sure that I tell the story of the character. (I'm also holding a prop in that song, and I need to figure out what in the heck I'm going to do with that.) Luckily, there is no dancing in that piece, so if I can get the sound and the character right, I'm home free. (Whew!)

The violinist came to rehearsals for the first time last night as well. It's wonderful to have her there, because you begin to get an idea of how the music will actually sound in performance. It's a great punctuation to some of the things we've been doing vocally and hearing on the piano this last week or so. It's hard to believe that we've only been rehearsing about a week and a half. We are pretty much off-book for Act I, and now I'm working to memorize gray areas in my lines and songs in Act II. Because we only have 3 weeks to rehearse this show, we have to work rather quickly.

I think the radio commercial went pretty well. They will edit the audio together to create a :30 spot or so, and I'm really looking forward to hearing it!

Comments