New wheels!


Ok, I've done a selfish thing. For about 6 years, I've driven a staid Ford Taurus. Four-door sedan, sensible vehicle, etc., etc. Well, it recently had a problem that would have almost cost more to fix than the worth of the car, so we decided it was time to go car shopping. Now, for many people, car shopping is a nightmare, and I myself concede that the last time I bought a vehicle, I spent the better part of a Saturday in the dealership, hemming and hawing with the salesman. Well, this time, it was totally different.

First of all, we did a ton of research. After our exhaustive foray into the world of car-buying, we determined that two cars were legitimate possibilites:
1.) A new 2006 or 2007 Toyota Corolla
2.) A slightly used Toyota Camry Solara convertible

Why? Both cars have received excellent ratings from Consumer Reports, they tend to hold their value well, and they get decent gas mileage. However, the convertible is about $10,000 more than the Corolla. As well, there aren't many used ones to be found in our market. So, I resigned myself to the Corolla. It was sensible, I told myself. A family car.

THEN I saw an ad in the paper for a 2005 Camry Solara convertible. Silver with a black top. Fingers trembling slightly, I dialed the dealership to find out more. Got the VIN, ran a CarFax check. Clean as a whistle. 26,000 miles or so. Great shape. He said they could be flexible with the price. (Of course he did. They'll say anything to get you out to the lot.)

Then, I did more research on this specific deal. What it was worth with the options and mileage it had. What type of financing I could qualify for. So, we went down to the dealership, drove it around. It was heaven. BUT I wasn't ready to love it. After all, it wasn't mine yet.

After a little negotiation, we came up with a deal we could both walk away happy from. So now, yes, she of the Ford Taurus has a shiny silver convertible! I can hardly believe it! We have already taken it out for several joy rides, and it purrs like a kitten. It's so much fun!

And, geez, I can see why middle aged men buy these cars. Just sitting in it makes you feel younger. Needless to say, I'm very pleased with this purchase. Now, I just need to plan a few road trips . . .

Comments