Alabama Shakes lineup

The Alabama Shakespeare Festival has released their season for 2006-2007, and it is good. Here's what's on tap:

Crowns by Regina Taylor - Oct. 13 - Nov. 5
Beauty and the Beast - Nov. 10 - Dec. 23
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl - Jan. 12 - Feb. 10
Gee's Bend by Elizabeth Gregory Wilder - Jan. 19 - Feb. 11
Henry VI (part A) by William Shakespeare - Feb. 23 - May 17
Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller - March 2 - April 7
Henry VI (part B) by William Shakespeare - March 16 - June 8
Richard III by William Shakespeare - April 13 - June 10
Thinking of You by Peter Hicks - April 20 - May 20
Fair and Tender Ladies - June 1 - June 24
Doctor Faustus by Christopher Marlowe - June 22 - June 30

While I think it is a wonderful lineup, I am disappointed with how the runs are scheduled. Look closely, and you'll notice that selections for a weekend in Montgomery are very limited. For example, I'd love to see Death of a Salesman, Richard III, or Doctor Faustus, but NONE of the runs of these shows allow any two of them to be seen in one trip. (Which seems stupid, since these are the shows with some of the most name recognition.) Similarly, you cannot see Henry IV parts A and B in the same weekend, because they only offer either one or the other each weekend. POOR PLANNING for those of us who want to make a trip to Montgomery to see shows! Usually, I come into town and see at least two shows before I leave. With the current scheduling, I'll probably stick to just one. It's not like ASF to make a mistake like this. Pooh on them.

Anyway, I'll probably be making the trek twice for Death of a Salesman and Richard III, since those are two of my favorites. But it irks me that I'll have to expend twice as much time (and gasoline) on what I'd normally make one trip for.

Comments

Nicole Bradshaw said…
Meg,

Thanks so much for checking in! Usually, I load up a couple of friends and come out to Montgomery once or twice per season to catch our "must sees." We usually stay one night and catch two shows. I'm a big fan.

I do think, though, that the way the runs are organized this year presents a challenge for your out-of-town ticket buyers. It will likely mean making the trip for only one show, rather than two, which will prevent me from seeing as much of your offerings as I'd like. (One can only jusitfy the drive from Jackson to Montgomery so many times!)

At any rate, I do look forward to seeing some of your season this year, and I will be watching to see how this new scheduling method evolves.

Thanks,

Nicole