Today's forecast: hot and humid.

News of terror: our air conditioning is on the fritz. So, we have to replace the heater. I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but apparently the controls for the air conditioner run through the control panel of our heater, which is 10 years old and has given us no end of fits since we moved into our house. To replace the control panel on the heater, which I've been told is shot, would be in excess of $600. We can replace the entire heater for about $1200 (AND it would be under warranty for five years thereafter). Considering what a pain the heater has been, we are opting for replacing the heater. (Argh. We are hemorraging money.) In the meantime, as it is still quite warm in Mississippi, we are sitting around in our underwear alot, trying not to move.

Oh, I finally got to watch The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe this week! I had been wanting to see it for ages, but it was one of those things that I never got around to. I happily report that it was great! Casting of the four children, especially Georgie Henley as Lucy, was wonderful. They were very natural and honest, and they didn't seem to be using their youth as a crutch. I thought the special effects were fabulous. To be honest, it's one of the best Disney pictures I've seen in a long time. The only thing that left me wanting more was some of the editing at the end. I felt that, once the four children understood their role in Narnia's future, the story moved a little too quickly, without fleshing out some of the relationships and exchanges between the characters and Aslan. It made the latter part of the movie a bit truncated. Other than that, though, I can highly recommend the film.

Also, the Mississippi State Fair began in Jackson today and runs through Oc­tober 15 on the State Fairgrounds. On tap are concerts, rides, food, and exhibits. My faves include the antique car show at the Trademart, the free biscuits, and the rides that don't make me throw up. (I also take darn good Wild West photos, so if you need a saloon floozy or a Pony Express Rider to pose with, I'm your gal.) I haven't settled on a date yet, but I'll definitely be there! If you've never been, it's a fun place to go for an evening or even for lunch (as long as you don't have anything too strenuous to do for the rest of the day!). For more information about the fair, you can call (601) 961-4000.

Tomorrow night, I'm off for Mexican food and then to see Equus at Millsaps! Full report later.

Comments