On an evening out.

I had so much fun yesterday! It was a great day, for several reasons:
1.) We got the air conditioner fixed!
2.) I went out with friends.
3.) I saw a show.

Here's the skinny:
Last night after work, I went out with a great group of folks to La Cazuela's. It started out as a quasi-business meeting, but we ended up staying there long after business was concluded, and it was a hoot. We are going to try and meet again without pretending that we are getting any work done. Oh, by the way, the sangria swirls at La Cazeula's are definitely worth a try.

After dinner, I went to the Millsaps production of Equus, and I'm glad I did. First, let me set the scene. The center platform, which serves as both the psychiatrist's office and the stable, was on a turntable, and the actors were all seated on stadium-style seating on both sides of the stage. I have no idea what budget the Millsaps Players had to create the set and costumes (particularly the horse costumes), but I thought that the production values were amazing. I was very impressed, also, with the lighting.

The standout performer of the evening was David Lind as Martin Dysart, the psychiatrist who tries to decipher why Alan Strang, a boy of 17, would blind five horses with a metal spike. Dysart's character is so important because he is the character that holds the play together. He serves as the voice of the playwright and puts many of the actions in the play into his own perspective. It's a pretty hefty role for a sophomore, and I thought Lind did a wonderful job with it.

I must say a word, however, about the audience at the show. There are some revealing scenes in Equus, and I imagine that they are difficult enough for the actors to present without having their friends sniggering in the audience. I was very disappointed by the immaturity of some of the audience members, and I imagine that I have no one but Millsaps students to blame. Shame on them. (And that's not something I usually say.)

Anyway, after the play, my friend and I headed to Cups to discuss the production and catch up with each other. We ended up closing the place down; we had a wonderful time talking and laughing and telling stories. (And my coffee was sooooo good.)

Next up - pedis and dinner on Saturday with one of my oldest and dearest friends!

Comments