No frontal nudity, please.

I FINALLY had the chance to see Forgetting Sarah Marshall this week. I've been wanting to see it for quite some time, but the planets never seemed to align for me.

If you don't know the story, the movie tells the tale of Peter Bretter (Jason Segel), a composer for a CSI-like television show. Peter has been dating the show's star, Sarah Marshall (Kristen Bell), for five years when she tells him it's over. Poor Peter is crushed. To help him recover, he takes a vacation to Hawaii, where he runs into none other than . . . Sarah. With her hot new boyfriend/pop star Aldous Snow (Russell Brand, who I don't really like on principle, but who was abso-freakin'-lutely HILARIOUS in this). Peter finds consolation, and the strength to move on, in the arms of sweet hotel employee Rachel Jansen (a radiant and real Mila Kunis).

First of all, the movie is funny. The primary characters are all likable, even when they are doing unlikable things, and there is truly an ensemble feeling to the cast. All the characters, even the ones with small roles, feel important to the story. Performances are wonderful. Segel shines as heartbroken Peter, Bell is appropriately gorgeous and self-centered as Sarah, and Paul Rudd makes a wonderful small appearance as a laid-back surf instructor.

I thought that the real star of the film, though, was Kunis. In this picture, she proves that she's much more than Jackie from "That 70's Show." This chick can act. Her Rachel is a fully realized, rounded character, and I thought she was the glue that held the entire movie together.

My only gripe? Nix the male frontal nudity, people. I know that Segel claimed to have been broken up with while naked in real life. And I know the awkward comedic moment is becoming a trusty standby. But GEEZ. Do I have to see such things? Can't we leave some of this to the imagination? It just seemed so contrived and . . . unecessary. Didn't think it added to the film. Sooooo, keep it zipped, mmmkay?

Other than that, though, this was a great movie. Hubs and I laughed alot.

Comments

Amanda Wells said…
Agreed. I love Mila Kunis, but can do without the peep show.