Temporary loss of sanity

We now interrupt this blog to bring you a temporary loss of sanity.

On Wednesday, I got a last-minute call from New Stage. They were holding auditions for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. I didn't go in for general auditions this year, because I'm not crazy enough to think that I have time to work full-time all day, rehearse in the evenings, and still see enough of my family to keep my brain from exploding.

But. But, but, but . . .

They told me they were interested in me for both the roles of Maggie and Mae. Maggie, the sexpot lead who spends most of Act II seducing her husband, is a legendary role. However, such a legendary role requires a hell of alot of WORK. Tons of lines to learn, not to mention going to some pretty unhappy places mentally and emotionally. Plus, she prances around stage in little more than a slip for half the show. (Which would mean I'd have to be STRICT about my eating between now and late Oct. And you know how I love my fried chicken.)

Mae, however, is the bitchy sister-in-law out for the family's money. She's a much smaller role. Mae drives a Cadillac convertible. Mae is married to a lawyer. Mae wears all her clothes. I talked to hubs about it, and we agreed that, if I actually got cast as Mae, I could probably accept the role.

Sooooo, like a complete wacko, I headed out to New Stage this week and read for the role. I won't know for a while whether or not I'm cast, but franky, just taking the leap to audition at this point is a stretch for me. If I DO get offered the role, accepting it will still be a whole discussion with hubs and a long, hard look at scheduling.

Eeeek. What was I thinking?!

Comments

Unknown said…
Oh, Nicole---that is so exciting! I'm sure you'll get one of the roles. Carpe diem, I say. You never know what tomorrow will bring, and this is a fabulous opportunity...do it. And then I'll live vicariously through you!
Nicole Bradshaw said…
I'm a little ambivalent. If I get offered a role, I hope it's Mae, because if it's Maggie, I've gotta turn it down. (And, boy, that would hurt.)

And even if I get offered Mae, it's going to be a tough decision for me, whether to accept it or not.

There are only so many hours in the day, and I can't do EVERYTHING, kwim? I've already got full-time work, plus my sweet guys to love on. And theatre is a time-consuming art. I know that I'm lucky, though, to have to choose between doing a bunch of things that I really love. That opportunity is such a blessing.