Monday, March 01, 2010

Busy bees!

Clay and I were busy over the weekend!

We started off on Saturday morning at the new exhibit at the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science. If you live in the area and have kids, you should be taking them over there on a regular basis.

Clay loved the latest exhibit - a look at protecting our forests and living green. He put on his little life vest and climbed into the little boat they had over there, "rowing" through the "water" and catching little fish with a magnetized fishing pole. Then, we went over to the campground they had set up, played in the tent, practised setting up wood to make a fire, and putting the fire out so we wouldn't burn the forest down. Plus, they had a little house in the exhibit where you could recycle various boxes and cans, hands-on modules where you could see how groundwater makes its way underground, and lots of other cool stuff. Booger ran through there like a madman before remembering that he hadn't yet seen the FISH, which of course we had to visit before we left.

On Saturday night, I sneaked out to Sal and Mookie's with Sandi for a fabulous plate of fried calamari and two delicious cocktails. We talked, laughed and ate until nearly 11 p.m., at which time I figured I'd had sufficient merry-making for the day.

On Sunday, we went to the Mississippi Gem and Mineral Show. I remember going to these types of things all the time when I was a kid. They had booths at the perimeter where you could look at cool rocks, do crafts, and learn all kinds of neat stuff. (Plus, if you're cute, you apparently get lots of free stuff and all the cookies you can eat. Since we got back, Clay has not stopped talking about his "treasures.") With tons of swag and a mouth full of cookies, booger was occupied enough that I could do some dangerous jewelry shopping. Prices were so cheap that I bought a citrine ring and earrings; a peridot ring, earrings and bracelet; and a beautiful pair of amethyst earrings. Yes, I have a sickness. But at least I am well-accessorized, right?

After lunch and nap, we headed to my parents' house for dinner. After we ate, they kept Clay while I made a run to Kroger. They got to spoil Clay for a little while, and I got to do my grocery shopping in peace. (Clay has an unattractive habit of requesting sample after sample, which has led to some tense moments at the gourmet cheese counter.) I purchased groceries galore to make a week's worth (or more) of lovely dishes. Tra la la!

I returned to work this morning rested and rejuvenated. Weekends totally ROCK!!

No comments: