The luau to end all luaus.

Ok, I'll admit it. The biggest party hubs and I throw all year is Clay's birthday party.

When Clay turned a year old, I was a stay-at-home mom with time on my hands. As a result, I figured we'd get creative with booger's party. It was an election year, and Clay's birthday falls in July, so we decided on a "campaign" theme. We designed and printed up patriotic invitations that had the wording of a campaign fundraiser, decorated the house to the hilt, and grilled all-American food on the back patio. It was a huge hit.

Figuring we'd need to do a comparable job with booger's second birthday, we chose a cowboy theme. Again, we printed up custom invitations (all "boot stompin' good time" and "mosey on over") and decorated the house like crazy. We threw in a themed cake and dress-up stuff for us and the guests. (The cowboy hats, bandanas, and sheriff stars were real crowd pleasers.)

This year is birthday #3, and I've got plans. Big plans.

We decided to throw a big luau. I ordered a boatload of decorations and guest favors from Oriental Trading Company. I bought tiki torches at Target, and I've worked up a yummy tropical menu. I just ordered the invitations, and we decided to rent an inflatable water slide that the kids (and maybe the adults!) can use to hang ten.

We'll grab a piece of bamboo for the limbo, and I may even learn some hula steps on the Internet that we can try. (The fire dancing? I'm leaving that to hubs.)

I'm thinking this is going to be one heckuva luau. I should probably enjoy it while it lasts. Next year, he'll probably just want to go to Chuck E. Cheese's!

Comments