I Was Told There'd Be Cake . . .

I picked up this book of short essays because I fell in love with the title - I Was Told There'd Be Cake. Though I don't think the book quite lived up to my delight at the label, I did enjoy this quick book of essays by Sloane Crosley. I imagine that the book would be more relative to me had I been Jewish or if I lived in New York, but there's enough universality to make a satisfying read for nearly anyone.

Crosley's essays cover all kinds of topics, from the dating scene in New York to her experiences at some of her early jobs to the summer camp she attended as a child. She definitely has a knack for words and an uncanny ability to draw comparisons/contrasts from the past to the present.

A quick, fun read. This book would be great beach/vacation reading. Though I didn't laugh out loud (a la David Sedaris), I did find myself smiling throughout.

Comments