Rantin' Rovin' Robin

Happy Burns Night from me and my haggis! 


For years now, I'd wanted to host a Burns Night party, but I'd never gotten around to it. My little family was in the midst of planning a trip to Scotland for late spring, so I decided 2024 was the year to dive in. 


Verse and smoked salmon? I'll drink to that! 



If you don't know much about Burns Night, the brief history is this - Robert Burns is Scotland's most famous poet. You know him as the author of the words to Auld Lang Syne; A Red, Red Rose; and My Heart's in the Highlands (one of my personal favorites). 

Burns Night itself got started after the poet's death, when a group of his friends met up at Burns' cottage on the anniversary of his death to remember him. The group had a bit of haggis, drank a bit of whisky, and read a bit of his work aloud. The night was deemed such a success that the group decided to repeat it again on the poet's birthday, and so the tradition was born.

Throughout Scotland, on January 25, people gather to eat haggis, drink whisky, read the words of the bard, and celebrate one of Scotland's favorite sons. 

First things first - I drew up my guest list and sent invitations out. I knew I needed a haggis, and I knew I wanted it to be a good one. I found a gorgeous venison version at Scottish Gourmet. I ordered that, then decided to make a big batch of duchess potatoes to accompany the main dish. Because of Scotland's miles of coastline, I made some cute little smoked salmon appetizers. I baked off little mini muffins of Dundee cake, and party guests came with big trays of gorgeous shortbread. I topped the menu with three whiskies for guests to try - Balvenie (my personal fave), Glenlivet, and Tomatin (a distillery we hoped to tour on our trip). We also had hot toddies (It was cold out!), wine, and non-alcoholic drinks. 


Happy Burns Night from a few of my sweet Scots! 


We began with a brief welcome and explanation of Burns Night. (We skipped the long Address to a Haggis, but I printed the poem out and framed it next to the main course.) My sister Laura gave the Selkirk Grace, and then we ate! 

Before the party, I'd made a few assignments for giving traditional Scottish toasts and for reading passages of Burns' poetry. Periodically, I'd call "A toast! A toast!" and someone would holler out one of the traditional toasts. Verses included passages from Scotch Drink; Red, Red Rose; My Heart's in the Highlands; and Nine Inch Will Please a Lady. (In true Burns fashion, we had to get a little bawdy by the end! He would have expected no less!)

Everyone wore plaid, everyone tried the haggis, and everyone enjoyed the whisky! We had a rip-roaring good time, and I better understand now why this party became a national tradition. Slàinte Mhath!


It was all in honor of the bard. <3


Comments