Ah, to be Patricia Wells . . .

Based on the recommendation of a blogger whose posts I've been reading for a while, I picked up a copy of At Home in Provence, a cookbook by Patricia Wells. Wells is very well-known, with an enviable life spent writing cookibooks, eating French food, and enjoying what sounds like an idyllic farm in the heart of Provence. If you watch Food Network, you've seen her pop in and out of some of your favorite shows. (I particularly remember her guesting on Barefoot Contessa, where she made a delish light lunch.)

Anyway, she writes a mouth-watering preamble to every recipe and provides wine suggestions for main dishes. It's one of the few cookbooks worth actually READING straight through, rather than picking and choosing only the recipes that sound good. Below is the first recipe I've tried from the book.

Turnip and Cumin Puree

2 T. unsalted butter
12 oz. turnips, peeled and cubed
salt to taste
pinch of sugar
1 c. chicken stock
1/2 t. cumin seeds

Heat butter until sizzling in large skillet. Add cubed turnips and salt lightly. Add sugar and saute, tossing, until turnips are lightly browned all over (about 7 minutes). Cover with chicken stock and cook over low heat until almost all liquid has evaporated (about 30 minutes). Transfer to food mill or food processor and puree. Season to taste with cumin.

Ok, I freely admit that I've never been a big turnip eater. It just was never a vegetable that I regularly bought. BUT they were for sale and looking lovely at the farmer's market, so following Janet Fletcher's advice, I bought what looked good and fresh and looked for a recipe later. And you know what? These things are GOOD. Of course, after simmering and browning in butter and chicken stock, almost any veggie can be pretty darn tasty. And the cumin adds a wonderfully smoky note that gives the dish a bit of depth. Wells suggested serving with roast duck, but since I don't often have time these days to both make a new veggie side dish PLUS roast a duck, we served these with boneless pork chops and steamed green veggies.

Based on this recipe's success, I plan on making more dishes from this book as soon as I can!

Comments