Mad for Miseltoe!

The legendary Miseltoe Marketplace has opened in Jackson once again! If you are not aware, Miseltoe Marketplace is a HUGE temporary shopping extravaganza set up in the MS Trademart each year by the Jackson Junior League. The event raises TONS of money for a good cause each year. (This year, it's the soon-to-be-built Mississippi Children's Museum). The event draws about 35,000 shoppers each year from throughout the Southeast, and it is prime picking for Christmas presents and unique items.

I attended the event's preview gala last night, and it was a glorious event! Food by Bravo!/Mangia Bene Catering and Crazy Cat Bakers was divine. Open bars were plentiful. Music was toe-tapping, not a sad rehash of tired Christmas music. And, once again, the League outdid itself with the decorations. I was also very impressed with the merchandise on offer this year. My picks:

Cowboy Country Amaretto Pecan Honey Butter. Oh. My. God. Sold just inside the far left wing of the market. You will SMELL the delicious samples they are offering. I saw people walking out of there with veritable CRATES of this stuff. It is amazing slathered over a hot biscuit, and it tastes like the holidays should - rich, indulgent, and like something special. The two guys selling it (don't know if they are REALLY country boys, or if it is just an act) are a HOOT. $10 a jar, $15 for two jars. My husband very much appreciated this purchase.

Savannah Bee Company Honey. I know, I know. It's two honey posts in a row. BUT the stuff is amazing. They have several varieties, which they allow you to taste at the booth, and I never realized how complex honey could be. Some varieties taste more herbal, some like butter, some are citrusy, others have an almost wine-like warmth. The booth is definitely worth checking out, and the jars of honey are something like $12.

I Just Have to Have It! Nearly everything in this booth was worth buying. Prices were reasonable, and the homewares and jewelry items were FAB. U. LOUS. I bought some CUTE bracelets, but I also came pretty close to buying some more jewelry as well as some fun holiday entertaining serve-ware. (I may very well be going back to this booth. If you beat me there, DO NOT buy the last set of 4 miniature Christmas tree ornaments!! I will come and find you!)

Bottom line - if you are looking for it, it is probably at Miseltoe Marketplace. While the market is usually crowded, buying a ticket to one of the special events, where food is served and free music is available, will probably ensure that you have better access to the merchandise and ease of movement. And, hey, it's for a good cause. The Junior League's last big charity project? The Blair E. Batson Children's Hospital. Yep, the ladies raised enough money to build a hospital. So when they plan something, you better either join in or get the heck out of their way.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I found your blog when I was trying to look up whether or not the Cowboy Country Amaretto Pecan Honey Butter could be purchased online. I thought this product was delicious, but I was disappointed in the price I paid for my purchase. I see that you were able to buy yours for less(?) which makes me wonder about the man working the booth. He told me that one jar was $17.00 and I could get one more for $3.00 more, meaning that they were 2 for $20.00. I thought this was very high, but bought 2 anyway because I knew my family would like it. Now I see that you bought yours at 2 for $15.00. When I found a similar product online, the jars sell for $4.95 each. Well, I doubt I'll buy this product again next year at Mistletoe Marketplace because I feel like the man purposely stated a higher price to maybe pocket some money, and I can't believe I fell for it because I thought the price was too high. Again the product is very good, but I don't think selling the product at inconsistant prices is good for business. I wonder how many more paid this price? Glad I didn't buy anymore. Other than that, Mistletoe Marketplace was a great place to shop an all for a good cause. Lots of good treats to sample and gifts to buy!
Nicole Bradshaw said…
Anonymous - this was the price I paid at the 2007 Miseltoe Marketplace. I've just returned from the 2008 Miseltoe Marketplace, and I also paid $20 for 2 jars in 2008. I will post an updated recap of this year's Miseltoe shortly.