A Literary Lawn Party



Mississippi is full of storytellers. Our literary tradition is impressive: Eudora Welty, William Faulkner, Richard Wright, Willie Morris, Margaret Walker Alexander, Shelby Foote, Ellen Gilchrist, Barry Hannah, Donna Tartt, Kathryn Stockett, John Grisham, Greg Iles, Nevada Barr. For a tiny state that struggles with public education, we sure do produce a lot of writers.

Recognizing this unique history, Mississippi hosted its first book festival in 2015. The event has now grown to thousands of attendees, and the 2019 Mississippi Book Festival schedule is OFF THE CHAIN. They're hosting more than 150 authors, more than 40 signings, book sellers, food trucks, tours of the Capitol building and more.

I have recently bemoaned the fact that I'm not part of anyone's "fandom." My sister-in-law loves The Walking Dead, and she and her friends head to Atlanta for the Walker Stalker conference and peer at empty fields where key scenes have been filmed. There is an honest-to-God Star Trek CRUISE that puts you on a ship with some of the actors for a week. People dress like Klingons, there's special Star Trek programming and everyone enjoys the space love. (This cruise sells out almost instantly, I might add.)

I have no desire to do these things. I really love movies and television, but (so far) I've never loved any show or movie so much that I wanted to spend thousands of dollars to stand next to an actor and have my photo taken.

But this book festival, guys. They are hosting Joyce Carol Oates. (I loved We Were the Mulvaneys so, so much.) Ann Patchett will be there. (Have I mentioned how Bel Canto utterly slayed me?) Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor will be there. #Shero. Dav Pilkey of Captain Underpants fame is speaking. (I read those books aloud to little man, and he was completely enchanted by them. This man gave me hours of laughter and quality time with my son.) You can see the whole schedule here, but guys, I think I've found my people.

I will be nerding hard at this festival. I've already started doing more of my cardio outside (instead of in the gym) to get ready. I will hydrate. I will bring an additional set of clothing. I will wear comfortable shoes and tote a re-usable bag for book purchases. I will hit as many food trucks as possible.

If you want to join me in carpe-ing this diem, I'll see you at the Capitol Building on August 17! (I love you, but I WILL take you out if you get between me and Natasha Trethewey.)


Comments