A Paris Adventure (cont.)

The vibrant Chagall ceiling at Opera Garnier

Day 5

After breakfast, we caught an Uber to Opera Garnier, the famed Paris opera house in which The Phantom of the Opera is set. Both Caron and I had put this attraction near the top of our lists, as the architecture and ornamentation at this love letter to theatre is extreme.

A place to see and be seen

We hadn't pre-booked tickets in this case, but the line was fairly short, so we made it inside fairly quickly. We paid a little money in the foyer to get audio guides so we'd know what we were looking at, and off we went.

Oh. My. God. Ya'll. This place is amazing. There are pockets in which they've modernized (Think neon lights in the entryway.), but most of the original design is gloriously preserved and celebrated. The sweeping entry staircase is still a perfect place to see and be seen. (And again, no evening gown in which to float down said staircase. My enduring life regret is that I descend fabulous staircases in ensembles other than floor-length evening gowns and tiaras. First world problems.) The numerous balconies and alcoves offer wonderful vantage points from which to appreciate both the space and those in it.

Our audio guides stepped us through the building, detailing the vibrant Chagall ceiling, the opulent public spaces and the famed box of the Phantom of the Opera. (I totally geeked out on that last one.) There were also some limited exhibits of production costumes on display, and I nearly pressed my nose against the glass cases to try and get a closer look - floaty tulle tutus, impressive red velvet dresses with puffed sleeves and neck cuffs. It was all just a wonder.

Hyperventilating a little bit . . .

Once we'd overdosed on gold leaf, we grabbed a quick lunch nearby and got a car back to the apartment. We had an afternoon appointment, and we didn't want to be late!

I'd contacted Shoot My Travel to arrange for a photographer to take group photos of us that afternoon, so we all got gussied up and met the amazing Julia near the Eiffel Tower. Julia and I had been emailing for a couple of weeks, discussing what types of photos we were looking for, what we should wear, how many of us there were, and potential locations. She met us right on time, and we spent the next hour or two traipsing around near the Eiffel Tower, the Seine, along picturesque bridges, and in a lovely cafe. The sky was a bit cloudy, and there were times that the wind was quite strong. I worried about how the shots would turn out.


One of the photos from our portrait session! 

But I'm happy to report that before we'd even left Paris, Julia had sent us a link with our proofs, and they were fantastic! I loved, loved, loved this experience. It allowed us to have some really good pictures from the trip with ALL of us in them, and Julia was such a skilled and patient professional. I cannot recommend this experience enough. We all treasure the images from this session.

Caron joined Susan and I that evening for dinner back at Café Central while Shawn spent time with her son. A little hot food, a little wine, a little dessert, and we were ready to call it a day.

Intricate weapons at the armory

Day 6

We'd purposefully left this day open on the itinerary because we knew that we'd all be ready for a break by now. Plus, many of us had sights on our wish lists that didn't overlap with anyone else's. We wanted to give everyone a chance to get out and about by themselves if they wanted and see attractions unique to them.

So, after breakfast, I headed to Hôtel national des Invalides. This is one of those buildings that seems to show up a lot in my photos of Paris, yet I'd never been inside. You can visit the Musée d'el Armée, which is housed there, to see Napoleon's tomb (such a large installation for a man so small in stature), the beautiful Cathedral of Saint-Louis des Invalides (with its colorful pennants), and an impressive collection of weaponry. (As I've always said, if you're going to get stabbed by a sword, wouldn't you want it to be an elaborately decorative jeweled sword? May as well be, right?) It's a remarkable heritage site right in the center of Paris, and I loved exploring it for an hour or two.

Afterwards, it was time to meet up with an old friend! When I was growing up, I was part of a phenomenal Girl Scout troop. Troop #77 was an amazing group of girls, and many of us stayed in scouting until we graduated high school. Together, we went on trips, ran summer camps, built lifelong relationships and sold a metric ton of cookies. And one of our members had been living in Germany! When she heard I was on my way to Paris, we agreed to meet up!
Old friends are the best friends!

Katherine brought her two PRECIOUS children and met me at our apartment. From there, we had a delicious lunch at Café de l'Esplanade, only a hop and a skip away. Dark green velvet seating and attentive service got us off on the right foot. We ordered juicy chicken with morels, and the children were well-behaved and charmed the whole restaurant while we chatted and ate. (I did get to pick up Katherine's sweet baby, Caroline, and walk her around for a bit when she got restless. She cooed and smiled at every diner in the place. I felt like a celebrity just holding her!)

Then, we went for a walk by the river. All along the Seine, you'll find play/exercise equipment, which Katherine's son Wyatt enthusiastically put to use. There are sidewalk paintings, little food stands and benches for taking in the view. We ambled along, ending up at the carousel at the base of the Eiffel Tower. We got Wyatt some ice cream, and he happily rode the carousel. Then, we caught a car back to the apartment for more catching up before Katherine had to leave. I was sad to see her go, but I was so glad I got the chance to reconnect with her and meet her littles! #GirlScoutsForever

My adorable family! Look at those smiles!



After that adventure, I had one more very important appointment. My cousin Elie has lived in Paris for 20-ish years. I'd never met his sweet wife or their beautiful children, so the two of us had carved out time for me to swing by their apartment for dinner. It was a lovely evening! His wife is practically a gourmet chef and so gracious. I also met the sweet children just before they went to bed. We ate, laughed, and talked into the night, covering everything from work to politics to art to economics.

Many in my family say Elie looks much like my father, and I have to agree. They are both handsome devils, with bright smiles and kind eyes. I hadn't laid eyes on him since my last trip to Paris nearly 17 years before, and it was wonderful to see him again.

It was late by this time, so I caught a car back to the apartment and tumbled into bed.

More to come . . .




Comments