Curtain's Up!




It's that time of year again! The time of year when our local and regional theatres announce their upcoming seasons! There are some good shows to put on your list!

First of all, New Stage Theatre, which is right here in Jackson, has a great lineup planned. I've purchased season tickets for the shows, which are as follows: Into the Breeches (looks hilarious), Murder on the Orient Express (perfect for Halloween), A Christmas Carol (of course), Mathilda the Musical (YAY!), Pipeline, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (I loved this when I saw it at the Kennedy Center.), and Ragtime.

The Broadway in Jackson series, which plays at Thalia Mara Hall, has also been announced. Fiddler on the Roof, Cats, Beautiful (which I caught on Broadway not too long ago), An American in Paris, We Will Rock You, The Color Purple (saw this one at the Saenger in NOLA), Cirque Dreams Holidaze, and Blue Man Group (love them and have seen them a few times now)! I might have to go to Fiddler, Cats (I know, I know), and An American in Paris.

At the Bologna Arts Center in Cleveland, they've got a lineup of music, education and mainstage shows that looks fun, too! Jason Isbell will be there in September, and both The Simon and Garfunkel Story and Finding Neverland look good!

The Saenger in New Orleans has also released its season: Dear Evan Hansen (on my must list), A Christmas Story, Miss Saigon (I saw this one in the West End in London.), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Mean Girls, Anastasia, Fiddler on the Roof, and Wicked (caught this one on Broadway).

The Orpheum in Memphis has some overlap with the Saenger, but some unique offerings, too! Hello, Dolly!, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Aladdin, A Bronx Tale, Come From Away (on my must list), and Dear Evan Hansen.

A wee bit farther afield, the Alabama Shakespeare Festival has also released their season. Pipeline, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (I performed in this show a lifetime ago!), All Is Calm, The Cat in the Hat, The Agitators, And Then They Came for Me, Alabama Story, Ruby, A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Comedy of Errors, I and You, Cinderella, and Million Dollar Quartet (which I LOVED when I saw it in Chicago).

And there are OODLES of live music events in the Biloxi area.

All this to say - Man, you're only bored if you want to be. Get out there and be entertained! I'll see you in the audience!




Comments