Feeling Peachy in ATL

The cool architectural lobby of my hotel

In May, I was back in beautiful Atlanta on business. As I have friends in the area, I decided to tack a weekend onto my business trip (on my own dime, of course) and have a visit with them!

Day 1

Once I got into town (ATL is a direct flight from JAN, so it was easy.), I checked into our conference hotel - the Atlanta Mariott Marquis. This place would be my home base while I was in town. It was well-located, and the interesting lobby architecture has been featured in several films. But more than that, the hotel gym here was fantastic - tons of cardio machines, resistance machines, natural light. I have worked out in some crappy hotel gyms in my day, but this one came closer than nearly any hotel gym I've ever used to feeling like a REAL gym. And it was very much appreciated.

Once I got settled, it was time to hit the street! I started with an early lunch at Amalfi Pizza. I ordered a mushroom and truffle variety with a nice glass of red, which fortified me well for the rest of my day! The pizza was yum, and service was very attentive and friendly. Prices are reasonable, too! A good, quick stop.

Next, I walked down to lovely Centennial Olympic Park (most of the construction work going on there during my last visit seems to have been completed) and then made my way to the CNN Studios for a behind-the-scenes tour. In all my time in Atlanta (and especially considering my profession), I can hardly believe that I'd never taken this tour. Happily, that oversight has now been corrected.
Ready to go behind the scenes!


Once I purchased my tour ticket at the kiosk, I waited in the building's atrium for the tour to start. There's hustle and bustle all around, as the building houses offices and restaurants in addition to the CNN headquarters.

Our tour guide appeared, and we were on our way. (Note: For this tour, I'd recommend wearing comfortable shoes. Though the tour itself isn't long, there's a lot of walking and stair climbing involved.) Our group went up, up, up to small viewing room in which tons of screens showed different views of the network and its properties. Our guide explained the reach of the network, their mission to bring viewers to the heart of the news, and how they deliver their content to a worldwide audience.

Next, we went into a mockup news program set. The tour guide asked for a volunteer. You know I raised my hand. Together, we showed the rest of the group how the green screen worked, and I made a show of delivering the weather and some key stories. (We couldn't resist showing everyone the floating head trick.)


The history of an enduring American brand


Then, it was onto several other stops - we saw a couple of tapings in progress through the glass, we got a bird's-eye view of the newsroom (and their impressive social media wall), and we watched a video about the history of the network. Pretty soon, we were back in the atrium. (The tour lasts just under an hour.) You end the tour in the CNN gift shop, which has all kinds of merchandise related to the station and its other properties. (There was a whole lotta Game of Thrones merchandise on offer during this visit!)

It was really cool to see how they put programming together. When I go back to Atlanta, I may return here and spring for a VIP Tour (just because I'm nosy)!

After my tour, I decided to check out another top Atlanta attraction I'd never visited - the World of Coca-Cola Museum. This enduring worldwide brand is headquartered in Atlanta, and I'd had the chance to visit their corporate offices during a business trip a few years ago. However, I'd never visited the museum, which is nestled in Pemberton Place along with some other key Atlanta attractions.

I found it easily. Out front, there was a beverage  truck offering free samples of new drinks the company is currently testing. It was fun to taste things that were in development! Then, it was off to purchase a ticket and get inside.

Once you're in the lobby, there's a long counter at which you can get free small cans of Coca-Cola products. I opted for Classic Coke - my favorite! (And it sure tasted good after walking in the Atlanta heat.) When it was time for our visit to begin, we were ushered into the first room., which they call the loft. This room is large, with two levels for tourists to stand on. Above you, on the walls, and in the space below, you'll find TONS of Coke memorabilia: old advertisements, signage, mascots,  branded clothing, just all kinds of stuff.

The greeter gives you a bit of company history that drives home how old this brand really is, and how much the history of Coke mirrors the history of the United States.

A taste of home at Truva!

Then, the double doors open, and you're allowed to explore the rest of the museum on your own. You can learn a *little bit* more about the formula in the vault, see an example of how they bottle beverages and get your photo made with the polar bear. (He was looking a bit bedraggled during my visit. Poor thing!)

Exhibits also explain how the beverage was first served and some of the creative ways distributors all over the world have gotten their product to market. (And I got to hold the Olympic torch! As a longtime Olympic sponsor, Coca-Cola has a collection of Olympic torches at this museum. The day I visited, a museum attendant was allowing visitors to hold some of them. It was pretty cool to hold history in your hands like that!)

One of the last stops in the museum is the tasting room, where you can taste samples of the Coca-Cola formula from countries all over the globe. This was really fun, as the formula is changed to suit local tastes.

After my tour, I went back to the hotel for a break before venturing out for dinner. Truva, a cool-looking Turkish place, was right down the street. I'm half Lebanese, and going to this place felt like coming home! The decor features saturated colors, intricate light fixtures that cast decorative shadows, and lots of cushions. Middle Eastern music plays softly. I ordered a lovely beef kebab with rice, vegetables and a salad. The food was on point (The beef was perfectly cooked.), and the service was so friendly and personal. I finished off with a bit of hot tea and thought about how much my whole family would love this place.

Day 2

After a quick workout in my AWESOME hotel gym the next morning, I caught a car to Ria's Bluebird to meet my sweet local friend Atlee for breakfast. This place was hopping! We waited a little bit (but not too long) before being seated, then dug into all kinds of yumminess. I had the omelette of the day with about a million sides and a big cup of strong coffee.


Margaret Mitchell's grave in Oakland Cemetery


As we ate, we chatted and caught up! It had been ages since we'd laid eyes on one another, and there was so much ground to cover. We traded stories about our husbands, our kids, our jobs, and ourselves before moving on to current events and what was next for each of us.

Strong women, ya'll. May we know them. May we raise them. May we be them.

You'll find what you need at Ponce City Market.


After breakfast, we walked the scant block or so to the Oakland Cemetery, where many Atlanta luminaries (including Margaret Mitchell, author of Gone with the Wind) are buried. It was a beautiful morning for a walk. The temperatures hadn't yet risen so much that walking the shaded avenues was a steamy endeavor. We saw tombs, elaborate headstones, and carefully landscaped family plots complete with stone benches. As it was early May, flowering shrubs and
climbing roses were in full bloom. We located Mitchell's grave, finding the top of her headstone covered in coins left by other visitors.

Visiting the cemetery is free. I'd only advise that you wear good shows for walking, as some of the paths can be uneven. I loved our stop here!

All too soon, Atlee had errands to run. Hugs goodbye and promises to meet up again soon followed, and then she sweetly dropped me back off at my hotel.

After a quick rest, I caught a car to Ponce City Market. This was another place I'd never been, and boy, had I been missing out! Ponce City Market is a mixed-use development housed in the former Sears, Roebuck & Company building, and there are cheeky reminders throughout the development of the space's history.

The market even offers green space and walking trails.

The heart of the facility is the marketplace itself. They have a super-cool food hall with all kinds of yummy options and retail shops (where I found all sorts of cute jewelry and gifts). You'll find spaces rented to local crafters and artisans where you can buy their work or take lessons on how to become a maker yourself. And the development also contains apartments and green spaces for relaxing. Ponce City Market is set up for easy access, too. You can get there in a car, like I did, but there are also options for pedaling in on a bike or just walking in via the Atlanta BeltLine's trails.

Between shopping, eating and walking the green space, you could easily spend all day here. As it was, I had a few hours, and I made the most of them! I sampled a few choice morsels in the food hall, bought gifts and souvenirs for my family and picked up some gorgeous jewelry pieces. Then, I got a car back to the hotel to get ready for dinner.

I had heard good things about the Sun Dial Restaurant, and it was so close to my hotel that I couldn't resist making a reservation! After a bit of freshening up, I made my way to the Westin Hotel (where it's located) and took the elevator 70+ floors up!

I was seated near a window on the west side of the dining room so I could watch the sun slip below the horizon as I ate. The windows are nearly floor-to-ceiling, and diners are afforded expansive views of the city and the green beyond. I ordered seared scallops, which came with a flavorful purple rice studded with andouille and vegetables. I washed it down with a glass of red wine for complete culinary happiness.


The sunset from the Sun Dial Restaurant

As the sun set, I noticed many diners taking out their phones to snap photos. The wait staff at the hotel also gamely obliged in taking group photos and otherwise helping diners capture memories of what was obviously a special occasion dinner for many. It was lovely to see.

Day 3

By the next morning, I was fully engaged in the conference I'd traveled to Atlanta to attend, so there wasn't any sightseeing after that. However, our group did go out to dinner one evening, to a restaurant called Pittypat's Porch. If you know your Gone with the Wind, you'll know that Aunt Pittypat was Scarlett O'Hara's aunt, the one she'd stay with whenever she visited Atlanta. And this restaurant commits fully to the theme. You'll find life-sized cut-outs of Scarlett and Rhett, copious rocking chairs and some pretty authentic Southern food here.

Aunt Pittypat knows fried chicken. #justsayin

And honestly, what could I order except fried chicken? The huge portion (three big pieces!) came with mashed potatoes and gravy and a little bit of julienned vegetables so we could pretend at virtue. It. Was. Good. So good, my friends. The wait staff was chatty, friendly and obviously loved their jobs. They also handled big groups (and our group was pretty big) very very well.

Much saturated fat was consumed, and many delightful conversations were had. Then, we all rolled back to the hotel!

I spent the rest of my time in Atlanta networking, learning and taking copious notes. I'm really glad, though, that I came a couple of days early to see more of the city and connect with friends. Every time I visit Atlanta, I enjoy myself. I can't wait to return!


Comments