Broadway and breezes

A group of friends and I got together last night for Symphony at Sunset, an open-air concert out at The Cedars in Fondren. It was great! I saw so many people that I knew there, and the music was a fabulous, casual backdrop for catching up with old friends. The symphony performed a selection of Broadway music, and we had a lovely little carpet picnic. I mention all of this because The Cedars was absolutely packed. People were pouring out of every little nook and cranny, and the lawn was covered with blankets, lawn chairs, and friends. It was a great event for the area, and it really demonstrates how Fondren is becoming a very tight-knit community. Fabulous! (And, incidentally, the symphony has lots of great programs on offer this year. To check them out, visit them online.)

Next up: WellsFest! WellsFest is a benefit hosted annually by Wells United Methodist Church, and they select a different charity to showcase each year. I first became aware of WellsFest when I interviewed their minister, Keith Tonkel, for a story I was writing. Later, the admission-free festival benefitted Magnolia Speech School, where two of my friends worked. Anyway, I have plans to go this year with my sister and sweet, precious nephew. (The event is great for families; they usually have fun activities set up for the kids.) Here's the skinny: Saturday, September 30; Jamie Fowler Boyll Park; no admission; 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. There's arts and crafts booths, live music, and food available for purchase. See you there!

Comments