One writer's beginnings . . .

I finally got the chance to tour the Eudora Welty House last week. It was a delight! Our very informative tour was led by Ms. Karen Redhead, an old friend from my Millsaps days. Books, books, books, everywhere! I loved looking on Welty's shelves to see what volumes she kept within arm's reach. I also really enjoyed touring the garden behind the house, which is actually much larger than you'd think from the street. Welty and her mother worked together often in the garden, and plants and flowers figure heavily in many of the stories she wrote. Karen also showed a fabulous video before the tour that really laid the groundwork for what you were about to see. (Jeanne Luckett's company, Communication Arts, put it together. Another Millsaps grad made good.) Anyway, if you are in the Belhaven area, I highly suggest dropping by. You can schedule a tour, which costs $5, by calling 601-353-7762.

The National Endowment for the Arts recently made an announcement quite pertinent to my tour. Apparently, staffers at the Endowment had run across some 5 hours of color film of Miss Welty, shot in 1975. Footage shows Welty reading from and talking about her works, and the film is in near-pristine condition. The endowment has decided to donate the footage to the Eudora Welty House, and they are accompanying the gift with a fat check to aid in the preservation of the delicate film. You can learn more about it here.

Lastly, I had to write about a new eatery in the Jackson area that I have absolutely fallen in love with. Newk's Express Cafe (I know, I know - an unfortunate name, but stay with me here) offers crisp, fresh salads; toasted sandwiches; yummy pizzas; and rich desserts. I am a huge fan of their Ceasar salads and veggie clubs. YUM! It's quick, it's fairly inexpensive, and it is so good. The Clarion Ledger wrote an article when the business opened; check it out here. Pop in sometime!

Comments