Back to the gym

After a looooong hiatus, I am back at the gym. I made it in three times this week (YAY, me!) for cardio and weights.

And I've learned a few things. Lifting a 20+ pound kid will keep your arms in shape, honey. I am lifting the same poundage that I lifted pre-pregnancy, and I'm not struggling to do it, either. However, my legs are a different story. I've got some definite ground to recover there. (And my aches and pains since working out are a CONSTANT reminder of that.) Flexibility is remarkably good, probably from scrounging around on the floor with the baby all the time.

Mainly, though, it just feels great to get moving again. It has been a while since I've exercised with any regularity. (Let's face it, when you're up 30 pounds in your third trimester, you barely feel up to walking down the hall, much less doing circuits at the gym. There were days when I considered typing an aerobic activity.) But, dang, it feels so good to get back to it that I wonder why I waited so long. (Oh, yes. I remember now. It's because it took Clay five months to sleep through the night. After two months of fearing it was all a trick, I figured out that sleeping all night was the new norm. Hallelujah!)

Anyhoo, I am on a kick, so I've also been tracking my calorie/nutrient intake for the past three days. It's amazing how much better you eat when you know you're going to have to write it all down. (Thank God I didn't start this until AFTER I scarfed down those fajitas on Tuesday night.) There's a great, free Web site I've been using where you can track calories, nutrients, and activity - http://www.fitday.com/. I LOVE this site. While everything isn't perfect (it tends to lowball calories expended on aerobic activity, and it also doesn't allow you to put in the RDA of vitamin K for any custom foods you enter), it's pretty dang powerful for a free program. And it helps you to feel like you are doing something positive about your health, which I appreciate.

Onward and upward!

Comments