How E! will be the downfall of civilization

To preface this, I should tell you that I hate E! I do not believe that it is the Entertainment Network. Rather, I think it is the clarion call of the end of living with any kind of integrity in America. I share my household, however, with a sweet, kind, funny man who I must (at least occasionally) compromise with.

My husband loves E! He particularly loves The Soup (which, I think, is the only show on E! that I find myself remotely interested in watching, even though I've never seen most of the stuff they are making fun of), but he will also watch Keeping Up with the Kardashians, E! News, and E! True Hollywood Stories about some of the saddest and most washed-up people in the "entertainment" industry. (He is also a fan of The Surreal Life and Celebrity Rehab, shows of similar ilk on VH1.)

I burn with loathing for these shows. They are putting sad, quasi-"celebrities" on television who then basically expose the worst of themselves (sometimes literally) for the "entertainment" of America. Ick. They do not uplift the human spirit, but instead show us how hopeless, shallow, and pathetic the human condition can be.

In addition to that, E! runs alot of hour-long programs (dubiously called "specials") like "The Hottest Celebrity Bodies" and "Look How Much Money Oprah Makes!!" that he will sometimes watch. So there, we're basically spending an hour consumed with counting every entry in some celebrity's balance book (or every ripple in their chiseled abs). I'm not sure what the purpose of this programming is, because the viewer learns nothing of real value. In fact, these "see how much famous people have" stories probably do more than we think to contribute to general malaise in American society.

I mean, KIMORA? The Simple Life? Looong specials on what overpriced "fashions" the latest celebutaunte is wearing? Why on earth do these shows exist? And, apparently, some (otherwise perfectly sane) people are watching them. Because if no one was watching, the good people at E! would be forced to close up shop and get their gaunt, tanned carcasses off the air, right?

While my own viewing habits are far from perfect (I have unhealthy obsessions with HGTV and Food Network. And to be honest, there are only so many ways to dress a window or brown meat, KWIM?), I feel that at least my preferences don't tear people down and invite despair regarding the quality of people American society is producing these days.

Am I the only one that thinks this stuff is sick? And worthless? And completely devoid of "entertainment" value? I truly believe that, the more of this type of media the American public consumes, the worse off we will ALL be as human beings.

Ok. Now that I'm off my soapbox, I'm going to go try and find zen. This post has gotten me a little worked up.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awesome post! You put into words, beautifully I might add, what I have been thinking for quite some time.

Dylan
Webmaster said…
You certainly are not alone! That channel is horrible, worse than celebrity magazines. Ugh.
Nicole Bradshaw said…
dylan - welcome, and thanks so much!

sandi - Right now, "The Girls Next Door" is on. I rest my case.