A sniff of spring

This week, we've had a couple of seriously beautiful days. Now, if you've lived in Mississippi for any length of time, you know how michevious the weather can be. Winter drags along, cold and rainy but without the thrill of snow, and here and there, the season throws in a couple of nice days to trick you into thinking spring has sprung. But it's all a cruel joke. The universe just wants to fool you into digging out your shorts and tank tops, and then it will decidedly turn nasty out. This pattern repeats itself throughout the winter. (Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, Clay and I took EVERY opportunity to get outside on the few nice days this winter - walks, trips to the park, picnics, etc. This year, Mississippi's fickle weather was a GODSEND.)

But now I can tell that spring is truly in the air. The first green sprouts of my daffodils are peeping up out of the soil! I've seen some already in bloom throughout the metro area, but when they start growing by my mailbox (which is a notoriously cold, windy spot), I know it's for real. And once it warms up enough to make for consistent, comfortable temperatures outside, you know what that means - PLANTS!!!!

Last year, I was pregnant dring the spring planting season, and in the fall, I was overwhelmed with a full-time job AND a new baby, so I didn't do too much gardening. But this year, I'm ready! I'm planning on moving some plants around in the back, getting rid of some others, creating a new bed by our big patio (I'll need some dirt for that.), and just doing some general puttering. Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait!!

Comments

Webmaster said…
But, ah, March is upon us. Don't get too used to the February warmth!
Nicole Bradshaw said…
True, true. BUT I've been able to drive with the top down on the convertible for two or three days in a row now! Spring is definitely on its way!