Hooker shoes

Post-baby, I have not been as "about town" nearly as much as pre-baby, as you might well imagine. It's just more complicated to arrange to be at a certain place at a certain time, particularly with theatre productions (which I love). But I am making the effort, people! So, for last night I put on cute dress, some chunky jewelry, and some REALLY high heels.

These high heels are one of the first purchases I made after I had Clay, mainly because I had been stuck at home, feeling like a dairy cow, and if I didn't get out and get some retail therapy, I thought I might end up pushing a shopping cart aimlessly around downtown Jackson. Because I was still rather rotund (and I'm being kind here), I bought shoes. LOTS of them. And this particular pair was one of the sexiest I could find.

(Need I explain why I was buying sexy shoes? Well, I was feeling very un-sexy. And the rest of me was still huge. So I bought something very sexy for the only part of me that wasn't still bigger than normal. Pathetic, but it did the trick.)

They are patent. They are red. The heels are really high. An old friend of mine would have called them "FM" shoes. (YOU are going to have to figure out what the initials stand for.) I call them hooker shoes. And I'll be the first to admit that since I bought them, I had not worn the hooker shoes even once.

But last night, I broke them out. And they looked GOOD, dangit. And with the jewelry, dress, and shoes on, I felt that I looked perhaps as good as I've looked post-baby.

We went to dinner at Bravo!, a perennial favorite of mine. It's locally-owned, plus the food and service are great. It's one of those places that you walk into, and you KNOW you are going to be well-cared for during your visit. Plus, it's pretty reasonably priced for a nice restaurant.

We had a wonderful dinner, chatted, laughed, drank wine. It was a beautiful evening. And, as always when I go to Bravo!, I ran into several people that I know. People came over to the table. Hugs, jokes, catching up were all exchanged. And I felt like I was BACK. Back to my old self, or as much as I could be my old self now that my life is completely different.

And even though I know this feeling is a credit to the journey I've made since having the baby, a byproduct of the time that's passed since he was born, a virtue of being around old friends and enjoying one of my old stomping grounds, etc., I must also consider that ~maybe~ the hooker shoes had something to do with it.

There is a power in hooker shoes, I've decided. I will be buying more of them. If you don't have any, I highly recommend getting a pair.

(And if you DO find yourself in possession of a pair of hooker shoes, girl, CALL ME. We will both put our hooker shoes on, and we can be "about town" together. Martinis, anyone?)

Comments

Webmaster said…
OMG, Nicole, love this post. I too have a pair of patent leather, red, very high heel shoes. I don't wear them often, but dang when I do, they look fantastic! Talk about making you feel sexy ... hooker shoes definitely do the trick!
(no pun intended)
Nicole Bradshaw said…
Ahem. If you find yourself free for an evening, let me know!
annalise said…
You know, I think i ONLY own Hooker Shoes. Well, maybe not only, but I don't believe in "practical shoes", much like how I don't believe in the tooth fairy anymore. I too have bright red patent leather shoes...
I should come to Jackson and we can take our shoes out on the town!
Webmaster said…
I'm thinking ... girls night out. :)
Nicole Bradshaw said…
annalise - oh, doll. I'd love that. I miss you with great muchness.

sandi - name your time and place, honey! I am sooooo there!