How to create a print of your 9-month-old's hands and feet

1. When baby awakes from nap, change him and feed him. (This step is to hopefully ensure a happy, rested baby.)

2. Prepare "touchless" ink pad and impression paper.

3. Notice that size of "touchless" ink pad is remarkably tiny compared to 9-month-old's feet and hands. Plunge blindly forward.

4. Press baby's foot to ink pad and impression paper. Notice that bottom of baby's heel is cut off in first impression.

5. Repeat the first part of step 4. Realize that baby scrunched up his toes during the second impression, resulting in what looks like an ape foot on the impression paper.

6. Decide to move to the hand impression. Again, note how tiny the ink pad seems in relation to baby's hand.

7. Attempt first impression, which results in an inky mess on the impression pad due to baby's fascination with CLOSING his fingers onto any object which comes within proximity.

8. Attempt second hand impression, during which baby's entire hand spasms erratically, smudging all the fingers on the impression.

9. Fruitlessly beg baby to please remain calm and still.

10. Attempt third hand impression, in which several fingers on the impression appear cut off because baby will not keep his little hand within the "touchless" ink pad area.

11. Attempt a third foot impression, which is only *slightly* cut off.

12. Rip "touchless" ink pad into three pieces and discard.

13. Curse vehemently, hoping all this while that baby's first word will not incorporate profanity.

14. Get out white acrylic paint and try to salvage at least one hand and foot print by touching up the smudges. Allow prints to dry.

15. Put touched-up prints in a frame and hang.

15. Vow never to try and capture baby's prints again, unless baby is somehow rendered unconscious.

Comments

Howcome you don't post a picture of the finished product? I'm kinna funny though, I'd rather see the messed up ones.

Pretty soon, he'll be leaving all the hand-prints you could ever want: on the wall, on the refrigerator, on the car, on your favorite light colored skirt...

I wonder if it'd be possible to make a mold of his little feet in algenate. That'd be kinna cool.
Nicole Bradshaw said…
From a short distance, you can't tell how much "touching up" I had to do on the final prints! I hung it over his crib, so you wouldn't be looking at it too closely!

I still have the paperweight you made for me, the one with the broken light bulb suspended in the clear acrylic. Love that thing!
I remember that. Wasn't it one of the many bulbs you broke in "Waiting for Dark"?

Paul got a great picture of you from that show, sitting on the stairs with great shadows (was that a show I lit or Brent?) I think I ordered a print of it. I'll have to look.
Supermom said…
LOL... that's funny.
Nicole Bradshaw said…
It WAS one of the light bulbs from Wait Until Dark. (Or what was left of it, anyway.)

I need to call Paul up. I've never ordered prints from him, and I would love to go through all the shows and pick out representative shots to keep.

I think you did the lights for that show, right?