Sand, sun, and seafood!

We're back from the beach!

We had a nice drive down to Gulf Shores last Saturday. The weather was amazing, and little man was remarkably well-behaved. We stopped in Hattiesburg for lunch, where we got burgers and spread a blanket on the ground at USM so everyone could enjoy the sunshine and stretch a little. (We walked through the rose garden before leaving, and it was GORGEOUS. I hadn't done that in such a long time. The plants are beautiful. Some of the stems had so many roses on them that they bowed down to the ground.) We also stopped about an hour later, in Lucedale. There is the sweetest little public park there, in the old downtown area. We swung booger in the baby swings, walked around some, and chatted with other parents who were there. It was very nice.

By early evening, we were checking into our condo. We rented a unit at Royal Plams, which is east of where I59 meets 182 (at the shoreline). I had never rented there before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. We needn't have worried. It was PERFECT! We had a one-bedroom, two-bath unit on the very top floor (14). Because Royal Palms abuts Gulf State Park on one side (and because this is one of the lower-density properties in the area), we had a beautifully uncrowded beach during our stay. Plenty of room to walk, look for seashells, and spread out. Plus, the condo had an indoor heated pool (perfect for little man), an outdoor pool, a spa, a sauna, and a steamroom. I would definitely stay at this property again.

And we ATE! We had wonderful meals at Gulf Island Grill (grouper . . . mmmmmmm . . .), Gulf Shores Steamer (pricey, but fabulous small steamer basket filled with crab, mussels, shrimp, and oysters), DeSoto's Seafood Kitchen (one of my favorite all-around places - great service, great food, great prices), Big O's Seafood (yummy oysters!), Old World Pizza and Bakery (get the signature "Old World" pizza), Bahama Bob's (fabulous burgers), Daylight Donuts, Hope's Cheesecake (Oh. My. Lord.) and soooooo many other places. I am sufficiently stuffed. I left complete reviews of all the restaurants we frequented online at TripAdvisor.

I also read tons of trashy (and not so trashy) books, some of which I'll review later, but mostly I spent time with my family and enjoyed the beach. One night, two pelicans flew so close to us on the balcony that we could almost touch them. (We really enjoyed the balcony. There were great views from up there, and hubs and I liked taking snacks out there during the baby's naps and watching the human parade below. Margaritas are much better with an ocean view, no?)

Sometimes, I'd take the baby out early in the morning to walk along the scalloped edge of the water. We'd discover the tawdry and sublime had washed up on shore during the night - a jellyfish, interesting pieces of driftwood, some discarded sand toys, starfish, all kinds of shells, the foam boob from a woman's swimsuit top. Then, we'd sit down for a bit. He'd pat the sand, run his fingers through it, watch other people walking by. He charmed everyone we ran into, cutting his eyes at them and grinning. He is a big flirt.

What I will treasure most, though, is the time and motivation I had to think. Something about watching the sea (which always seems to move in every direction at once) is inspiring. There is something to rest your eyes upon everywhere you look. The kids dig in the sand, play chase with the waves. Underfoot, the water crashes and ebbs, and shells of all shapes and sizes wash up on shore like little jewels. You can see life everywhere. In the evenings, the air is soft and briny. If you breathe in through your mouth, you can taste the ocean.

This was a different kind of vacation for me. Usually, I'm the early riser. You know, the one with the checklist? I know what I want to see in each destination. I drag people to museums and landmarks and the oldest church in Paris. But this trip was different. First of all, we had the baby with us, so that definitely impacted our schedule. Secondly, there isn't too much to do in Gulf Shores besides just enjoy being there at the beach. So I had to learn to slow down a little. And it was really nice!

Comments

Deanna said…
It sounds like luxury. We have got to go this summer... gas prices or not!!
Susan said…
Bahama Bobs... Oh boy. Our favorite place to eat on Earth. The stuffed panga (which used to be stuffed grouper) is so fabulous...
Nicole Bradshaw said…
Be warned that gas gets higher the closer you get to Gulf Shores. Upon leaving, we just put enough in to get us somewhere where they'd be lower. Ugh. Everybody raised the rates for Memorial Day weekend. The dogs.

Bahama Bob's - yummmmmm. The service there was fantastic, too.
Susan said…
The service at Bob's has always been awesome. We always budget for a great tip. Once we left a $20 tip on a $40 meal! It was worth it. The house salad dressing there is one of my favorites. First time I had it I tried to sneak the entire bottle in my purse. It didn't fit.

Another place we love to eat is Tacky Jacks. We don't do the bar scene, but we'll go early and get the burger or the steak sandwich. YUM. Plus there's one all the way out at Ft. Morgan, which is where we usually stay!