Picadillo

Hubs and I have LOVED this recipe for Turkey Picadillo for years. But because I have a million cookbooks, and several of them have recipes for picadillo in them, I have a moment of hesitation every time I want to make it. ("Is THIS the recipe that we like? Or is it THIS one over here?") So, mainly because I want to know what recipe I'm making (sheesh.), I'm posting it here, where it's easily accessible. Plus, YOU get to make it now! So it's a win-win!

Turkey Picadillo

1 tsp. olive oil
1 c. finely chopped onion
1 pound ground turkey
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 c. beef broth
1/3 c. raisins (sometimes we use more)
1/3 c. chopped pimiento-stuffed olives (sometimes we use more)
3 Tbsp. capers
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste
3 c. hot cooked rice

Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, saute 5 minutes. Add turkey and garlic, cook until browned, stirring to crumble. Add broth and next 5 ingredients (through salt and pepper), stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Serve with rice.

This makes four large servings. I sometimes add more raisins and olives because they give the dish huge punch. Also, don't put in as much salt in as you think you'll need at first. The olives and capers lend quite a bit of salt to the dish. When in doubt, under-salt. Taste as the dish simmers, and add more then if necessary.

This is a Cooking Light recipe (subscribe today!!), and each serving is only 423 calories! YAY!

Comments