Whine-Fest 2008 . . .

. . . or "Playing" Pool?

Last night was pool night. And I was awful, awful, awful.

Allow me to set-up: Clay got his 15-month shots at the end of last week. Though he has had fairly mild reactions to all previous vaccinations, these proved to be more problematic. For the past few days, he's been clingy, fussy, and a little off his food and sleep schedules. And wanting me to hold him ALOT. We are just now coming out of it. Needless to say, I was REALLY looking forward to getting out of the house for pool night.

I showed up at 7:30 p.m., fairly chipper. But as the night wore on, my eyes got droopier and droopier. Before too long, I was yawning and checking my watch. I did end up playing some games at around 10 p.m. The problem? I misplaced my trademark energy and enthusiasm somewhere around 9:30.

I was playing a guy who was a whole lot better than me (no surprise there), but I was missing shots that I KNOW I can make. I think I only scored three points or so THE ENTIRE NIGHT. And the worst part is, I wasn't having any fun. I just wanted to get out of there and go to bed. It was bad, bad, bad. And I felt like I really let my team down. Demoralizing. Last night, I felt very much that this pool playing business is a one-step-forward, two-steps-back kind of enterprise.

What have I learned from this?
1.) Ask to play earlier in the evening. That way, maybe I won't be a wilted flower by the time my games come around.
2.) Sleep better. (Any advice on how to do this with a cranky 16-month-old would be greatly appreciated.)
3.) Practice this week. I missed last week's pool night because hubs was out of town. (Thus, no one could keep booger.) That meant I hadn't played in a while. And, boy, did it show.

Ok, ending the pity party now. Here's hoping to a better week next week.

Comments