On knitting

When I was over at Sandi's yesterday, she taught me how to knit. Now, on Facebook, she's all, "Oh, I just seem to rub off on people. Tee hee," but that is totally not the way things are going down. I was sitting there, minding my own business, trying to eat an entire pound of chocolate-covered pretzels, and she said, "Come on! I'll teach you how to knit!"

And I thought, "Why not?" Shoot, I'm up for learning new things. So she gets me a loom (It's not what you're thinking. Whenever I'd hear her say "loom," I'd think of this huge apparatus, and her sitting in front of it on a stool, working like a pioneer woman. It looks kinda like this.) and some pretty blue yarn. She shows me how to start off a scarf, and, after a few blunders, I'm knitting away. (In between telling Clay not to beat on the satellite box with his tiny fists. Geez. I hope that thing still works.)

And, hey, I've definitely made some progress. My little scarf (wool wristlet? ankle warmer?) is growing nicely, and it looks pretty decent for being whipped up by someone who never thought in a million years that she'd be knitting. Here's the only problem. After spending all day at a computer, taking over the world with my keyboard, maybe crouching over a loom and doing more repetitive hand gestures is not the best thing for my ergonomics.

But that sneaky Sandi knows I'm too OCD to just let the scarf sit there, unfinished. So while I should be cleaning the kitchen, or reading plays, or updating this here blog, I've been knitting. I've decided I'm going to finish this scarf, though. And when I'm done with it, I will GIVE it to somebody, therefore giving a gift I made and crossing an item off my 101 list.

Because I'll be damned if I'm going to knit an entire scarf and not get some sort of list payoff for it. That's just how OCD I REALLY am.

Comments

HEATHER said…
HAHA! I have never knitted with a loom. I do know how to crochet, but I want to learn how to knit. I bought a little teach yourself to knit kit, but sadly I guess my poor brain is too fried to figure it out. It might as well be written in Aramaic to me!!! I must check out this loom thing.
Aren't those things fun... time consuming for OCD people like ourselves, but fun!