Barack Obama's speech on race

At this moment, I finally know how I am going to vote in the next presidential election. Barring any crazy developments, my heart belongs to Barack Obama.

I should preface this by saying that I am not registered to either party. I tend to vote for the person, not the party, and, as a result, my ballot contains both Democrats and Republicans.

However, I heard something this week that was like a breath of fresh air. Like someone threw open the window to my mind. If you missed Barack Obama's speech on race this week, take 10 minutes and read the transcript.

Oh. My. Lord. FINALLY, someone is willing to acknowledge the complexity of the race issue in America. Someone who is not afraid to tell it like it actually is. Someone who sees that, although we all have our own issues, problems, and concerns, at the end of the day, we all want many of the same things. Someone who addresses the media's role in keeping race resentment a "wedge issue." Someone who, like me, has had enough of talking around all of our problems and is more interested in trying to actually fix them. Someone who does not talk at me, but TO ME, who realizes that I have the mental capacity to understand the grays of the issue. Someone who is more interested in a conversation than a soundbite.

Praise the Lord and hallelujah. It looks like someone just changed the game a little.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Seems he has a speech writer. Hillary Clinton made him look like a goofball and typical politician that never answers the question. "Change" is what he's all about, yet "Why did I not vote for all these bills? Well, thats just the way we do things". PFFT. Liar, just like the rest.

I'm not moved by his speech, after hearing comment his wife made, and reading a transcript and hearing audio of his extremist, racist Pastor, whom he still wont distance himself from.

Sorry, but there are three liberals running for President. In order of how long the country will last before total misery, longest to least are Clinton, McCain, Obama. Any of them will ruin the economy and take away our freedoms, then blame it on GWB. And I'm not giving it long, either. I'm just glad that a President doesn't have the power to destroy the country if they tried to purposely.

Besides all this, I love your blog :)
Nicole Bradshaw said…
What did his wife say? I missed that blurb?

Will you be voting for Clinton? Why?

Who do you think will win the Democratic nomination?

P.S. Welcome!
Webmaster said…
Well, despite anon's feelings, I totally agree with you, Nicole. I posted Obama's Senate record on the moms site; that's just a little of the research I've done on him. I really, really like this candidate. He makes the other two look like cardboard cutouts of pols from the same old political machines. He's a breath of fresh air indeed!