Sunshine and sandwiches

Hubby and I seized the opportunity presented by the beautiful weather yesterday and took booger to lunch at the park. It was a gorgeous day, and little man enjoyed taking in the fresh air, examining pine needles up close, and trying to snag our sandwiches.

We went to Quizno's because I wanted to try one of their new "sammies." When they came out with them, I remember thinking - what great portion control! A sammie and a cup of soup or a small salad would be the PERFECT amount for lunch.

When I got to the counter to order, I noticed two things - a poster in the window proclaimed that all sammies were under 200 calories. A sign up near the counter, however, said they were 300 calories. Wha . . . ? Either they are 200 calories or 300 calories, right? Why have two signs with contradicting information in the same restaurant? I mean, I can READ, right?

Went to their Web site this a.m., and here's the skinny: If you order the sammie WITHOUT cheese and dressing (just bread and meat), it's 180 calories. (And who the heck does that, I'd like to know? If I want such an austere lunch, I'm prefectly capable of preparing it myself, not going out to Quizno's and paying $2 for it.) If you order the sammie AS IT COMES (with cheese and dressing), it's 320 calories. A bit deceptive, if you ask me, to have the poster proclaiming "200 calories!" in the window of the establishment.

FYI, though, the Bistro Steak Melt sammie is very good. Order it with a bag of baked chips, or a salad, and you still have a pretty low-cal lunch.

Comments