A Natural Storyteller

I recently finished reading Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner, and I had to weigh in. This book is powerful stuff.

Our story begins in Afghanistan during the 1970s. Amir is the son of a rich businessman. Ali, a servant to the little family, has a son named Hassan. Due to their close proximity in age, Hassan and Amir spend much time playing together, despite their class difference. They are the closest of friends, and Hassan makes it clear that he would do anything for Amir, sticking up for him on several occasions with neighborhood bullies, etc.

But one day, Amir witnesses something horrible happening to Hassan. And he does nothing to stop it. The subsequent guilt that Amir feels poisons his relationship with Hassan and haunts him into his adult life. Finally, years later, Amir has the chance to achieve redemption.

This book is rich with themes of guilt, self-worth, friendship/love, secrets. I saw some Faulkner in it, too - the past is not really past. It is all around us, influencing how we look at the world and what actions we take today. The past can be a living, breathing thing, and it is in this book.

Hosseini's writing is descriptive without being flowery. He tells you just enough to see (in your mind's eye) what he's describing, and no more. His style is concise and effective.

More than anything, though, this book made me think of all the innocent bystanders in violent conflicts around the world. They are powerless to stop what's happening, but they are still destroyed by it. The link above will take you to Khaled Hosseini's site, where you can find links about how to help the people of Afghanistan. Reading this book will make you want to take action.

FYI - This is Hosseini's first book. His second one, A Thousand Splendid Suns, is already out. In addition, The Kite Runner was made into a film.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for the comment back ;-D

Ahh I agree with how powerful this book is. It's one of my favourites ! And I did actually cry in it ;-x Very touching indeed. Have you seen the film ? I heard it wasn't a very good adaptation but maybe I'll see it in future.
Nicole Bradshaw said…
I have not seen the film. I know little about it, except that I heard somewhere that it was banned in Afghanistan. (Surprise, surprise.)