What I've been doing today

Besides singing ALL of the verses to "Froggy Went A-Courtin'" over and over and over (Oh, yes. I know every single verse.), I've had a very nice day so far. My sister and sweet nephew first met me at Millsaps College for a little picnic. The grassy area called the Bowl is a perfect little green space in the middle of downtown, so we spread our blanket and had a quick bite. I also got the chance to catch up with some beloved professors and staff members, so there was that bit of wonderfulness as well.

THEN we headed over to the Garden and Patio Show at the Mississippi Trademart, which at once served as happy diversion and inspiration for spring planting. There were so many beautiful displays, and TONS of gorgeous plants for sale. I was particularly taken with the red double begonias, the succulents, and the ferns (which were very attractively priced). Lots of nice iron work was on offer, too, though I didn't find the hose-trees I was looking for. (WHERE are they, Iron Man Sam?! What do I have to DO to get you to start making hose-trees again, for crying out loud?!)

There are also seminars on herbs, flowers, veggies, container gardening, etc., scheduled throughout the duration of the event. Little people aren't particularly disposed to behaving well at such lectures, however, so we had to pass this time. But little people DID enjoy the children's area set up at the show, where kids can get their faces painted, plant tiny seedlings in pots, and make craft butterflies. This was entertaining for at least 20 minutes, and we took full advantage.

Admission is only $8 (which you would save on buying just ONE macho fern, specimens of which I saw being sold for around $18; I've seen them elsewhere in the metro for upwards of $25), and you get a free entry to win the Garden Lovers Dream Package. (We agreed to split the package if either of us won it; we are talking an INSANE gardening haul - pots, plants, mulch, a weekend vacation, plant stands, hardscape materials, mixed containers, tons of gift certificates, etc. Basically, it looks as though you get an entire yard makeover plus a little vacay if you win this. Oh, please, please, please . . . . ) The event continues through Sunday, so you still have time to go!

At any rate, I came home totally psyched for spring, and I immediately traded some of my credit card points for Home Depot gift certificates. YAY! Hubby and I have also just replaced the outdoor lighting on the porch AND painted our front-porch swing. The season is here at last! Whoopee!!!

Comments