And even MORE food

I finished reading Comfort Me with Apples, Ruth Reichl's second (third - if you count Festiary) book, and I loved it. She's got one more memoir that's out right now (Garlic and Sapphires), and I'm going to track it down soon. I like the way this woman writes.

Comfort Me with Apples details her years serving as a restaurant critic for the L.A. Times. It also dishes on her first marriage, its demise, her second marriage, and her quest to have a child. All, of course, bound up in her love of food. There are several recipes in this book that I plan to try later. It's interesting to me that the recipes in this book reflect how her tastes begin to become more sophisticated as a result of her work.

Also, I did a bit of research online and found out that Ruth is now the editor-in-chief of Gourmet. I held a subscription to this magazine ages ago, but I let it lapse because the recipes seemed to stop speaking to me. (Everything took forever to make, and it was all pretty bad for you.) I might buy a newsstand copy of it and see if it's changed as a result of her leadership.

Comments