Gorgeous home in Eastover+Clay=Quick Exit

My sweet little nephew is a student at First Presbyterian. Well, the school was having a fundraiser today, and my sister invited me to attend. Basically, we were all touring a gorgeous home in Eastover, enjoying little snacks, a silent auction, and time in the amazing garden behind the home.

When sis invited me, I noted that I'd have to bring little man, and she ASSURED me that it would be fine, that there would be other kids there, etc. And I thought to myself, "Well it is, after all, a fundraiser for a school. It wouldn't be illogical to think there'd be other children around at the event."

Oh, how wrong we were.

Clay and I arrived just after lunch. Because of all the cars parked in the street, we had to park a looong way away. Luckily, a sweet guy with a golf cart appeared out of nowhere to whisk us to the front door. During the tour of the home, I held little man on my hip, and he was remarkably well-behaved. And the house was beautiful, furnished with lots of antiques, with amazing photos of the family hanging everywhere. (Though there was wallpaper everywhere. And as one who has had to remove wallpaper numerous times, I admit that I don't think I'd ever have the courage to actually APPLY wallpaper. I'd be too worried about the day I'd change my mind and have to take it down.)

Anyhoo, when we arrived at the garden, where I'd hoped to let him run around for a while, there were way too many people everywhere to let him get too active. So, we skipped the silent auction items and the baked goods tent in lieu of a little walking and a delightful conversation with one of my junior high school teachers that I happened to see there. Luckily, we were also able to enjoy a little bit of the yummy refreshments before hitching a ride on the golf cart back to our car.

If I had it to do again, I probably wouldn't take him. BUT he was fairly well-behaved, and we got in and out of there without too much drama, though our visit was short.

On a totally unrelated note, the mother of a dear friend passed away recently. Though we keep in touch via the Internet, I hadn't actually seen him in a while. I went to the visitation to express my condolences, and I got the opportunity to talk with him for a bit. I've really missed him. He's smart, he actually thinks about things, he has a kind spirit, and he's fun to be around, even when he's sad.

But it got me to thinking - no matter how old you are, or how sick she's been, you're never ready to lose your mama, are you?

Comments