The book meme

Stacey tagged me for this, so here goes:

1. Total number of books I've owned
I have no idea. Too many. Way too many. At least a thousand? And don't get me started on all of the magazines that I've squirrelled away.

2. Last book I bought
What to Expect: The Toddler Years

3. Last book I read
The Kitchen God's Wife, by Amy Tan

4. Five books that mean something to me
This one's more difficult to answer.
I've always loved A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving. It was one of the first books I read as a young adult that I heartily recommended to other people.
David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day is almost perfect, and I laughed out loud the whole time I read it. I like the genre - humor essays - and he's great at writing them.
I think that Why Business People Speak Like Idiots is a pretty accurate assessment of business writing today, and I think it taught me something. It shows you that successful business writing/speaking does not have to be such a chore.
I'd also include at least one of the old Norton Anthologies of English Literature. It just sums up so much about where we are coming from when we write and read. Who came before us, what they thought, how that's still shaping what we think today. Plus, I think that classics are dubbed so for a reason.
Lastly, I have an old, hardback compilation of The Complete Works of Shakespeare that I always keep close. I LOVE Shakespeare. The book was one of my mom's textbooks in college (It still has her maiden name written in the front.), and I like it not just because it sums up two of my biggest interests (literature and theatre), but also because it was my mother's book before she was my mother. Plus, it's handy for looking up all kinds of things.

Not tagging anyone on this meme.

Comments

Stacey said…
I keep hearing about this David Sedaris person. I should read some of his stuff.
Nicole Bradshaw said…
You MUST. I will bring a copy of Me Talk Pretty One Day to book club this week. See you there!