Greening up

As a quick update, my use of the cloth grocery bags has been going splendidly! I haven't had to buy more than four bags, because each bag holds ALOT of groceries. It has actually cut down on the number of trips it takes for me to unload groceries from the car, too. I've used them at both Kroger and Wal-Mart.

On the recycling front, I have been saving recyclables in a bin in the garage and dropping them off at a place near my house so they can be recycled. Looking at the amount of stuff diverted from the trash, I am glad that we are doing this. Just changing this one thing is going to cut down our trash significantly. While we can't recycle many things this way (only newsprint, aluminum, and certain types of plastic), it's still better than nothing.

On another note, I've noticed that our local library will offer you a bag to hold your checked-out books in, and they are re-using plastic grocery store/Wal-Mart bags for this purpose. I always refuse the bag, but I think offering them is a nice way for the library to recycle! So, if you have a bunch of plastic bags at your house, and you don't want to throw them away, see if your library will take them as a donation.

Comments

Supermom said…
I've been collecting my soda cans and giving them once a month to my office janitor. She is very poor and is tickled to get them to take to the place she can get a few pennies a pound for.

I figure it's a two-fer: They get recycled and she gets a little pocket change.

Where is the place that recycles near your house? (which means near mine) I'd like to start with newspaper and plastic too. email me at supermomms@yahoo.com if you get a minute to share this location.