Pretty dang good.

I had the chance to see The Fantasticks at New Stage last week, and I really enjoyed it. They had a fabulous cast for the show, and it made for a very entertaining evening!

My perennial favorite, Ray McFarland, played El Gallo. Chris Roebuck was absolutely ADORABLE as Hucklebee. (And I mean adorable. I went backstage and told him so after the show.) I particularly loved he and Mitchell Moore (as Bellomy) in "Never Say No" and "Plant a Radish." They were so cute! Gordon Fox completely stole every scene he was in as Henry, and Danny Dauphin died quite convincingly as Mortimer. Though I didn't know the actors playing Matt and Luisa, I thought they both did very well, creating some sweet moments on stage together. Turner Crumbley, as the Mute, ably impersonated a wall, the rain, and a host of other necessaries.

What I'm sorry about is that I didn't see it in time to talk other folks into going as well. The show closed on Sunday. Sorry, guys. I'll hustle a little more next time.

Oh, and the theatre is promoting their next season. Here's the lineup:

Sherlock Holmes: The Final Adventure
Sept. 9-21
(I'm not sure why they chose to do this one first. If it were me, I would have swapped this one with To Kill a Mockingbird. Then, you could have opened with a show that people know well, and you would have had a mystery production to promote during Halloween. It may have been a rights issue.)

To Kill a Mockingbird
Oct. 21-Nov. 2
This is on my must-see list.

Gee's Bend
Jan. 27-Feb. 8

The Ponder Heart
April 14-26
Adapted from the Eudora Welty story. Another short list item.

The Light in the Piazza
May 26-June 7
I am SO GLAD they are doing this one. I read all about it on Broadway and have been lusting to see it ever since.

Personally, I think this is a great season. See you at the theatre!

Comments