Superheroes and shaved heads

I bought Clay's first official Halloween costume today! He's going to be Superman. Hubs will be Lex Luthor (I got him a bald cap and everything), and I'll be Lois Lane. Should be fun!

Clay looks super-cute in his costume, and it's basically just a decorated fleece sleeper with a detachable cape. (Which is great, because we all know it pays to keep a toddler comfortable, right?) I got it at Party City for about $20. They had other costumes that we considered (Yoda, a lion, etc.), but in the end, hubs wanted a little Superman. PLUS, we won't have to buy that much stuff to make ourselves into Lex and Lois. (The bald cap for him and a cute brown ladies' hat for me is about all we'll need.) So that's nice.

Brian offered to shave his head to be Lex Luthor, but I put the kibbosh on that idea pretty quickly. Years ago, not too long after we got married, I went out of town for a few days on business. When I returned home, I couldn't find Brian in all the usual locations (in the kitchen, on the couch in front of the TV, etc.). I finally popped my head into the guest bedroom. The light was turned off, and I could tell Brian was in bed. I started to creep back out when he threw the covers off his head to reveal a very bald, very pale, nearly shaved skull.

And, people, Brian has a rather large skull. And he has a rather round face. And he's the whitest white boy in North America. So, he was not really rocking the Yul Brenner look, if you know what I mean.

I'm sure more tactful people than I would have handled this situation with aplomb. But I nearly burst into tears. I remember saying, "What have you DONE to yourself?! It looks awful. AWFUL!! Oh my God. What have you DONE?! I swear, I leave town for TWO DAYS and THIS is what I come back to?! I can't turn my back on you for FIVE MINUTES!!!"

Needless to say, my reaction hurt his feelings. I agreed not to keep harping on it, as long as he promised NEVER to shave his head again. Nev. Er.

Every once in a while, when I'm pissing him off, he still threatens it. The evil little gnome.

Comments