Dining with royalty.

Today, I had lunch over at the Jackson Convention Center. There was a benefit (called The Power of the Purse) for The Women's Fund of Jackson. The keynote speaker was Jill Connor Browne (Sweet Potato Queen ringleader). It was the first time I'd been in the new convention center, and it is really a gorgeous and very versatile space.

In some of the open hallway, they'd set up a silent auction featuring purses and jewelry and all kinds of fabulous things. Ladies were bidding like crazy. We had our meal in the large ballroom (lovely and yum - a very "ladies who lunch" menu of pear salad, chicken with steamed veggies and mashed potatoes, and cute little bread puddings in tall stem glasses), and then the program began.

Connor Browne was, as always, a hoot. (I love her business card. On one side it reads, "Lick you all over. 10 cents. Ask about our other specialties." Then, on the other side is her contact information. I doubt that anyone has ever misplaced this card.)

I was with a table full of work friends, and we laughed and hooted it up. They even served WINE, though it was a bit early in the day for me (and I had a half day left of work to boot). I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and it was all for a very good cause.

Next at the Convention Center - Spring Market! This Miseltoe-like event featuring hundreds of vendors will be opening tomorrow at the center and running through the weekend. Sounds like FUN! Who's with me?

Comments

Does the convention center do its own catering or do they bring it in?
Nicole Bradshaw said…
I think that VIP Catering (formerly Mildred's) is their on-site vendor. The food was veryvery good.