Fire in my belly

I went to my first bellydancing class at Millsaps this week! Woo to the hoo! I had been interested in taking the class ever since my friend, Janice Jordan, started teaching it several years ago. The course is offered as part of the college's Enrichment Series. Each season, they offer an impressive, interesting roster of courses to the community. Most of them are 6-8 weeks and only a hundred or so dollars each.

(The birth of this course is actually a whole 'nother story. Shortly after I graduated from Millsaps, while I was still working in their communications department, the Millsaps Players produced Carnival. I was cast as Rosalie, the magician's assistant. The costumes were SO KILLER. It was one of the few times as a performer that I LOVED the clothes I was wearing. Anyhoo, Janice was cast as one of the bellydancers for the show. She hadn't danced in a while, and doing the show, I think, got her interested in it again. She started teaching the course shortly after.)

When the Enrichment course catalog came out this spring, my friend Stacey called me up. She said she was interested in taking bellydancing, and told me that she thought I was one of the only people she knew who would also be game. (She totally sold me on the whole, "Get back in touch with your heritage" line. Sly as a snake in the grass, that one.) Plus, now that I am about back down to my pre-pregnancy weight, I am noticing that my clothes still don't hang right. I figure bellydancing is as good a way as any to pull those poor, stretched-out stomach muscles back in.

I showed up with some apprehension, imagining a class full of waif-like coeds and ME, a pleasantly plump stay-at-home mom. I shouldn't have worried. There were women of all ages, shapes, and sizes in the class, and I immediately felt comfortable. We practiced rib cage slides and hip swivels, pelvic thrusts and inner thigh lifts. (I think Brian is going to really appreciate what HE gets out of this course.)

I'm really looking forward to next week! Janice broke some news at the first class - we will hold a small performance at Hal and Mal's once the course is complete. Eeeek. Here's hoping that I have the guts for that little venture.

Comments

My step-kids are big on going to the Lebanese conventions with their dad. Carla and I went to one with them and it was a belly dancing ho-down.

Young and old got out there and they had a ball. The men don't dance with the women though, but then they hardly ever do anywhere.
Webmaster said…
I didn't know you were in Carnival. That was a fantastic show. Cliff and Lindsay lit it up, singing.
That was also when I took trapeze lessons. I was a summer RA, and Morgan Gadd offered the class for free, so I signed up. Talk about a workout!

Good for you for belly dancing. You'll have to post pics. :)
Nicole Bradshaw said…
Yep, I played "The Incomparable Rosalie," the magician's girlfriend/assistant. I had these huge feathered headresses, PLUS I got to be levitated! Woo hoo! It was totally cool.

I like playing a comic lead in musicals. They have all the fun, and they usually have some of the best songs!
arr-jay said…
I'm so excited you're doing this! Liz told me she saw you. I had wanted to do it for the last couple of years (in Jackson), but something always came up. So when I moved here with few commitments, I Googled and found Bayou Shimmy, of which I am now a proud beginner-class-grad! I loved it! Enjoy. :-)