Why I hate scary movies

I made a brave attempt to watch I Am Legend this week, but I didn't get very far before pleading the heebie jeebies and begging to be let off the hook. I am NOT a scary movie person. I hate them. I hate them because I have a very flexible suspension of disbelief. And later that night, when I am huddled under the covers, I have the distinct sensation that the bloodthirsty zombie (or vampire or serial killer or whatever) is breathing ominously on the goosepimpled flesh of my neck.

And now that I'm a mom, I like scary movies even less. I mean, what if some crazy-creepy virus DOES get created, and it infects all sorts of once-normal folks who then turn into depraved, angry, superhumman lunatics? What will that mean for little booger? How will I protect him? I guess what that goes back to is the fear that I really CAN'T protect him from many horrible things that may or may not happen in the future. A fear that is very real, even though the gory movies that inspire it are not.

But hubs LOVES scary movies. He's in there watching 28 Weeks Later right now. Which is why I'm in here, in my nice, safe little cubby of an office, blogging furiously and confident in the knowledge that I will enjoy a night of deep, dreamless sleep.

Comments

Deanna said…
So nice to meet someone else who feels my pain! I tell my husband all the time: There is enough "reality"... give me some comedy, fun, not all this serious stuff! I usually wind up like you... in the other room reading a book! Ha!
Webmaster said…
I hate them too. They still give me nightmares.
[shiver]
Nicole Bradshaw said…
Amen. Ditto with his obssession with crime dramas. Enough people are murdered in real life. I don't need to watch it on a TV Show, too. Eeek.