I was a Miss Hospitality pageant judge

Late this afternoon (after I got over my shakes from the Wal-Mart episode), I had to be downtown at the TelCom center to judge Jackson's Miss Hospitality pageant. The pageant is run by the Jackson Convention and Visitors Bureau, and the winner competes for the state title later this year.

Basically, Jackson's Miss Hospitality is responsible for making appearances at local events, performing in a few commercials promoting the city as a tourist destination, and being present at some bureau functions throughout the year.

I'm not completely sure why the CVB asked me to be a judge (They probably thought, "Let's ask Nicole! She's not doing anything!), as I'm not a very "pageant-type" person. The closest I ever came to the pageant world was entering Junior Miss in high school, and I didn't even win that. I do have experience in public speaking and being on camera, though, so I guess I have a little expertise to lend there.

At any rate, we had several very good contestants, and we chose two wonderful young women as Miss Hospitality and our runner-up. I think our selection will have a great shot at the state competition!

(PLUS, they gave the judges some great goody bags, with items from the Mississippi Museum of Art gift shop, gift certificates for free lunches at Schimmel's and Old Capitol Inn, and more. So, who wants to go out to lunch?)

Comments