PRisms!

Last night, I missed Mississippi Moms book club because I went to the annual PRism Awards banquet in Hattiesburg. Once a year, the Public Relations Association of Mississippi holds a competition for all public relations practitioners in the state. You know the drill - you submit your work, a panel of judges reviews it, they pick winners, etc. Well, I had entered some work that I'd done last year before leaving the office to take care of booger.

A few weeks before the banquet, they sent award winners an email to let them know they should be present at the event to pick up . . . something. (Which is very nice. Then, when they are handing out awards, the winners are there to to accept them. There is nothing sadder than handing out awards to, well, no one.) So, I had no idea if it was just honorable mention or what. But I thought, "Hey, I'll go down there just for the evening, eat some good food, catch up with all my PR friends again, and maybe slink off with a certificate of achievement or something."

The event was held in Hattiesburg's Lake Terrace Convention Center. I have passed by it many times, but had never been inside until last night. It is a very nice facility. I was also super-impressed with the food. I would love to get recipes for the great little fried olives, phyllo tarts with mushroom and caramelized onion, and tiny beef wellingtons with dipping sauce. Dinner was a nice salad, chicken with new potatoes and green beans almondine, and a little ramekin that contained a cross between chocolate mousse and creme brulee (with this weird, very small spoon. like we were elves?).

It was sooooo fun to see all my colleagues again, too. There are truly a great bunch of people working in public relations in Mississippi - funny, nice, smart, personable, accomplished. It makes for a great, collegial environment in which to work.

So anyway, after chatting and eating and having a nice time, I was expecting the actual awards ceremony to be a bit of a disappointment. But we won two first place awards and a second place award! And the first place awards were in two campaign categories (internal pr campaign - long term and community service campaign), which I thought was pretty important. Woo to the hoo! Our second place award was in the video/broadcast category.

I have to admit that, particularly now that I'm not working, winning something was gratifying. It made me think, "Hey, I'm good at this. Even though I'm not doing it right now, I am still talented, dangit." It was an affirmation that, when you spend most days chasing after a crawling 9-month-old and singing "Trot Little Pony," can be pretty darn valuable, KWIM?

Comments

Supermom said…
Congratulations! That is awesome that your talent was recognized in such a neat way!