In honor of Earth Day

Since I had the baby, I've been more concerned than ever about keeping the planet clean. I'd rather us make some progress in dealing with our own mess before handing the planet off to the next generation. Sooooo, in honor of Earth Day, I made a couple of small moves towards doing a better job of being less wasteful.

Firstly, I called our waste management office. See, we don't have recycling in our neighborhood (primarily because we are in the county, and not in a city). But I was wondering what I could/should do if I wanted to recycle independently. Turns out, there's a drop-off point within about two miles of my house. Yay! So, they are sending me the literature about what I can drop off there, and the Bradshaw household will start recycling.

Secondly, I bought reusable grocery bags today at the grocery store. Now, I only bought four, but I figure if I buy a couple more every time I go grocery shopping, I'll soon have a nice little stash. Then, I'll only need to get the plastic bags when I need more cat-litter-scoop receptacles.

Things that I have been doing previously include buying more organic produce when I grocery shop, purchasing alot of fresh fruits and veggies at our local farmers' market, and trying to combine trips so that I use less gas. We've also been switching all our lightbulbs over to the compact flourescent kind over the past few months. What are some other ways to do better? What are you guys doing?

Comments

HEATHER said…
After you get all of the bulbs changed, you will freak when you get your next electric bill. Don't be surprised if it goes down by a full $5 or $10! I was so stunned when ours did.
Supermom said…
I go by your subdivision on my way home. =)
Christy said…
After we built the house we stocked "most" of our lights with the entergy saving bulbs. we are happy with it. We also installed a tankless water heater, and upgraded our insulation. I think it was a wise choice.

Recently I have been eyeing those resuable shopping bags as well. I think I want to give that a try. Like you, we use our to take out the cat litter as well.. (watch carefully some have holes in the bottom!) *sigh*
Deanna said…
Water is my pet peeve. Too long showers, half loads of laundry, leaving the water on while you brush your teeth... so many things people do that waste water.